Qualcomm has announced its latest flagship Snapdragon 888 processor on 1st December 2020, during the first day of Snapdragon Tech Summit Digital. The newly released Snapdragon 888 is the most powerful platform for mobile ever by Qualcomm Technologies. This innovation by Qualcomm coupled with the 5G evolution, is continuing to redefine and enhance the user experience. We can see a significant upgrade compared to last year’s Snapdragon 865. Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 888 SoC (system-on-chip) comes with a sixth-generation Qualcomm AI Engine. The latest Snapdragon model no. 888 is a deviation from the sequential model no. over years of its development. It is creating a new era of flagship Mobiles and their performance.
Even though the company hasn’t released the full specifications yet some of the key features of Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 888 are:-
- Snapdragon 888, with the 3rdgeneration Qualcomm Snapdragon X60 5G Modem-RF System, enables global compatibility by offering mmWave and sub-6 across all major bands worldwide.
- The new 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine, with the completely re-engineered Qualcomm Hexagon processor. Which takes a pivotal leap forward in AI compared to the previous generation to improve performance, power efficiency—all at an astonishing 26 Tera operations per second (TOPS).
- Snapdragon 888 will triple down on the future of computational photography and transform smartphones into professional-quality cameras.
- The first mobile phone to be powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor. Expected to launch in the first quarter of 2021. It will power the next generation of 2021 Android flagships from OEMs like Realme, Oppo, Xiaomi, Vivo, OnePlus, Asus, Lenovo, Motorola, Samsung, LG, and Sony among others.
With the faster gigapixel speed Qualcomm Spectra ISP, users can capture photos and videos at 2.7 gigapixels per second or roughly 120 photos at 12MP resolution—up to 35% faster than the previous generation.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 it will use lower-power “always-on” AI processing features to run the device.
- It also features Snapdragon Elite Gaming, which helps in achieving a frame rate of up to 144 frames per second (fps).
Let’s have a look at the five phones that will launch in 2021 with Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 888 processor :
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi’s 11 will be one of the first phones to be launched with this chipset. Though the company hasn’t yet confirmed its launch date, its expected global launch is in January 2021.
As per the Twitter announcement, by the company, the next flagship launched by it will have Snapdragon 888. Though the name ‘Realme Race’ is a false one, the company might name it as Realme Ace or Realme X60 PRO. Even though the specifications have not been launched we do know that it will run Android 11 with Realme UI 2.0. Expected to launch in February 2020 as per the hints.
Oppo Find X3 series
The company has officially confirmed it’s next launch of the Oppo Find X series with Snapdragon 888 5G. While the launch date announced, confirmed to make a debut in the first quarter of 2021. The new smartphone might be a successor to the Oppo Find X3 series.
OnePlus 9, OnePlus 9 Pro
Since every year One Plus launches premium phones with Qualcomm’s latest chip. It is expected that the OnePlus 9 series will launch with Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor in 2021. Also amongst the names in the list provided by Qualcomm, One Plus has been found. As per the One Plus consumer quality satisfaction. The premium phones will have the latest Android 11 OS out of the box.
Nubia Red Magic 6
The company has confirmed the launch of new Red Magic 6 series smartphones with Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 800 series. Being the first gaming device to get the Snapdragon 888 processor. Expected to come with a 144Hz AMOLED display, similar to its predecessor. The device will likely offer gaming features, a massive battery with fast charging support.